North Carolina investigators were looking for at least one suspect after the incident. Two substations ‘targeted’ At least 40,000 customers have been warned to prepare for a power outage through Thursday after a “deliberate, deliberate and malicious act” took place on Saturday night that caused extensive damage to both facilities. .
Speaking at a news conference Sunday afternoon, officials announced a countywide emergency and established a 9 p.m. curfew to protect affected residents. was advised to evacuate to a sports complex.
“It’s going to be very, very, very dark,” said Senator Tom McInnis (Republican), explaining the reason for the stay-at-home orders. “…it looks chilly tonight”
Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields has called it a “very serious situation” and local, state and federal officials, including FBI agents, have previously characterized it as a “criminal incident.” He added on Sunday that he was adjusting his response to the stuff. He had never experienced anything like this in his 40 years in law enforcement.
“We live in difficult times, folks,” Fields said.
Sheriffs confirmed a firearm was involved in the attack. “They stopped, someone did, and they shot into the substation,” he said, describing the first of two incidents that were nearly identical. He could not comment on possible motives or whether the attack exceeded vandalism, and said it was up to federal investigators to determine what constitutes domestic terrorism.
Fields also said lawmakers ruled out Emily Grace Rainey, a local conservative activist who inexplicably wrote after the blackout occurred, as a suspect after visiting her home. Rainey, who organized a protest against a local drag show this weekend, wrote on Facebook, “Moore County is running out of power and we know why.” Two hours later, she posted that she had been visited by law enforcement officers, who said she was “sorry for wasting your time.”
Fields said Laney’s post “turned out to be nothing.” When asked by a reporter how lawmakers judged it, the sheriff replied, “We, uh, law enforcement.” No link had been established with the attack on the substation, he added.
“Last night we faced something we’ve never faced before here in Moore County, but we promised we’d get through this. Together we’ll get through it,” Fields said.
Duke Energy spokesman Jeff Brooks said that after the attacks damaged multiple pieces of equipment at both substations, the agency “pursued multiple recovery paths” and was “considering fairly sophisticated repairs. “There are.” Some parts had to be replaced entirely, “which would take days for most customers to restore,” he added.
minutes before the press conference Moore County School It announced on Facebook that all schools will be closed on Monday, promising more information in the coming weeks in the near future.
Moore County Manager Wayne Best called the weekend’s event “unprecedented” locally. “Our top priority now is to give back power to our citizens.”